Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Singer Margo Rey and Comedian Ron White

Brides Against Breast Cancer(BABC) today announced a $5 million fundraising campaign called "Say I Do!" that will be led by singer/songwriter Margo Rey, a two time breast cancer survivor, and her fiance and partner of the last five years, comedian Ron White.

"By saying 'I Do!' to our campaign, you can help us build and sustain a nationwide delivery of free programs and services to patients, caregivers and families impacted by cancer," said Carl Ritter, chief executive officer for the nonprofit organization, which is operated by Sarasota-based Center for Building Hope.  "It is a vital step in our national mission to ensure that no one has to face cancer alone."

The "Say I Do!" campaign will raise funds to support a national online network of more than 100 affiliates, including programming and training for affiliate organizations to enhance  online cancer-related educational and support services. Funds will also be used to produce "self-care" videos and other programs for free national distribution to anyone impacted by cancer. To make a $10 donation to the campaign, text 'BRIDES' to 85944.

"People everywhere will be able to learn vital skills to increase hope, as well as their chances for recovery, while being connected to others who are undergoing a similar experience," said Ritter.

Margo Rey has been named  National Ambassador for BABC, and will co-chair the new campaign with Ron White, as they finalize their plans for their own fall wedding. "As a breast cancer survivor who has undergone several surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation, I believe that education and personal and holistic support are just as critical as prompt medical treatment," said Rey, whose hit song, "LET THE RAIN" – co-written with the legendary John Oates – will be the theme for the campaign. "Through BABC, we can raise awareness and help provide support to millions of people whose lives have been affected by cancer."

As National Ambassador, Rey will visit select cities where Brides Against Breast Cancer holds its "Nationwide Tour of Gowns" bridal shows, featuring all brands of new designer and gently worn wedding gowns, with an average offering of nearly 1,000 dresses at each show. The monies raised support free programs and services for those impacted by cancer. Much like their honorary chair people, BABC tours over 120 cities a year.

"Cancer is damned tough, and there are so many folks out there who don't have the kind of support we do," said White. "That is why we're throwing our support behind BABC and the Center for Building Hope – so they can take their mission to cancer patients and their families all over the country and even around the world.  Let's make life better for those who are going through cancer by saying 'I Do!' and then actually doing it."

Recently, my partner and I celebrated our five-year anniversary. We're not married, but we're fortunate enough to live in a state that would allow us to stand up in front of our loved ones and exchange vows. If we wanted to.

I was conflicted about getting married when it first became legal for us. In my mind, I was already fully committed to my partner; I wasn't sure that I suddenly needed a certificate or a ceremony to prove it. Besides, having a wedding -- my wedding -- still seemed like a strange and foreign concept. I had stopped considering it a possibility in middle school, when I realized I was gay.

But maybe that's a good reason to have one: to normalize it.

My brother and sister are both married now, and they both have kids. I keep picturing my nieces and nephews at my wedding. If one of them happens to be gay, I want them to experience the joy and optimism that an 8-year-old felt when walking like an Egyptian, instead of the shame and embarrassment that a 22-year-old suffered after smacking his sister with the London Bridge.

Regardless of their sexual orientation, I want my nieces and nephews to grow up thinking that it isn't impossible for two men to get married; it's normal. That's why I don't want to be their uncle who lives with his partner; I want to be their uncle who lives with his husband -- whom he will love and cherish until death do them part.

Click on their website wwww.marrybride.com for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment