Monday, September 2, 2013

There were plenty of frilly pink dresses

When I was in high school, my sister turned me in for not wearing my hat on the bus. She was one of those “monitors” whose job it was to snitch on younger students when they misbehaved out in public.

Growing up in England, we both were lucky enough to attend a girls public school when uniforms were still in vogue.

Our “summer” uniform consisted of a shirtwaist-style dress in one of two fabric patterns — some awful flowery blue or some awful flowery green cotton — cinched at the waist with a white vinyl belt. Atop our really bad haircuts was a straw boater resplendent with a ribbon bearing the school colors.

The lucky girls got to wear white knee-highs. I, of course, had to wear ankle socks.

In the winter, we wore the traditional black,Find gorgeous mother of the bride dresses in Wholesale Cheap mother of the bride dresses. knee-length pleated skirt, a long-sleeved white blouse and … gasp … a tie. There was also a school blazer and the ubiquitous black felt hat.

For my lack of wearing a head covering in public, my sister made me write an essay debating whether or not school uniforms were a good idea.The best place to buy Wholesale Discount Prom Gowns Online for your big day.

I did my due diligence, despite my gut desire to scream, “No! No! They make you look like a dork!” A school uniform meant you never had to decide what to wear each day. It meant everyone looked pretty much the same, regardless of economic background or status. And it meant you had a very limited non-school wardrobe.

On Friday, as I cruised down Lacey Boulevard at 12:30 p.m., students from Hanford West were breaking for lunch.Formal Wholesale Cheap Designer Long Evening Dresses and gowns will have you looking your best. Well, I assumed they were students seeking noon-time nourishment.You can purchase Cheap Designer Celebrity gowns Online easily. Either that or they were teenagers heading to the beach sans surfboards and sunblock.

Some of the girls wore short shorts… and I do mean short. Some of the boys looked like surfer dudes without the cool bleached hair, while others looked like they’d just rolled out of bed after sleeping in their clothes for a week.

When school started a couple of weeks ago, we asked our Facebook fans to send in their “first day of school” photos, snapped on their smartphones. All told, we received about 60 — there’s a half-page in today’s edition and more to come throughout the week.Dresses for elegant Wholesale Short Homecoming Gowns and short formal dresses.

Most of the photos were of elementary-age children, with their shiny faces, brand new outfits and cute haircuts.

There were plenty of frilly pink dresses and backpacks for the girls, and new jeans, shirts and tennis shoes for the boys.

Processing all these cute photos begged the question: What happens between first grade and high school? When does the desire to look “shiny and new” get replaced by “rumpled and ragged”?

As I waited at the stoplight for the students to cross the street on Friday, I thought back to my sister’s “gotcha” on the bus and the essay I wrote about the pros and cons of school uniforms.
Click on their website www.dressestmall.com/index.php/furniture/homecoming-dresses.html for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment